Re: libungif (was: Re: 2nd summary (was Re: [HEADSUP] ALL Maintainers, please reply.))

On Sep 28 20:10, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:06:31 -0500, in gmane.os.cygwin.applications
> you wrote:
> >
> >Lapo Luchini wrote:
> >> I'd say "up for grabs".
> >> I always used to say it's "low priority", but being so low it didn't
> >> get updated in months probably means that someone else may well be
> >> more interested in it...
> >
> >I'm interested in keeping this going.  But before I package it, was a
> >decision ever made about including giflib in the net release (in terms
> >of legalities)?  This will make a big difference in how I would package
> >libungif.
> We already had this discussion awhile back, and despite the FUD from
> the FSF, the patent has long since expired worldwide.  The only
> company which might have a claim is IBM (which expires at the end of
> this year), do you really think they'd care (given their recnt battle
> with SCO)?  Most other opensource packages with LZW capabilities have
> already quitely re-integrated it back into the default source.

I don't think the FSF information given on qualifies as FUD.

Fedora also only supports uncompressing gifs via libungif.  Other
packages, like gimp, don't support creating LZW compressed GIFs,
unly uncompressed or run-length encoded.

This means, let's stick with libungif until at least 2006-08-12.

Red Hat, Inc.