Re: updated: guile-1.6.7-2, guile-1.7.2-2

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Um.  It's your package right?  I don't see why I have to go to the
effort of downloading sources and figuring out how guile works to make
it work like every other package out there.

I'm not happy about your apparent reluctance to fix this problem.

Chris, I think the point is that the problem *has* been fixed -- in guile-1.7.2. Are we now going to require re-releases of older packages with fixes backported from newer versions?

In guile-1.6, the upstream folks used a private version of libltdl3, and a hacked version of libtool. This was bad.

In guile-1.7, they fixed that and are now using the "system" libltdl3 and have libtoolized using an official version of libtool (1.5.6, not 1.5.20 -- but that's immaterial w.r.t. the problem exposed here: as long as guile links to the "real" libltdl3, it will get the corrections in my 1.5.20 version)

Honestly, I'm not sure why Jan is maintaining both the -1.6 and the 1.7 versions, but I don't see the point in forcing him turn cygwin-guile-1.6 into cygwin-guile-1.6-but-kinda-1.7-only-not-really by re-doing all the work involved in ripping out guile-special-libltdl3.

Which the upstream maintainers already did for guile-1.7.

.la in /usr/bin is ugly -- but it's fixed in the current version of guile. Why the fuss about the obsolete version?

--
Chuck