Re: [g-b-s Patch] Write and save logfiles for configure/make/check/install

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

> > I feel I should clarify the statement that "I'd rather not pollute the
> > source directory with more files".  I don't care if there are extra
> > files in /usr/src/PKG-VER -- that's what it's there for.  However, I'd
> > rather not have 4 extra files per package in */usr/src* -- it looks
> > cluttered as it is.  That's why I like the step that puts them all in
> > the same tarball. The compression is incidental.  The g-b-s can even
> > extract the logs in the prep() step, after applying the patch.
>
> Well there would now be only one more extra file in /usr/src after
> installing with setup.exe, ${FULLPKG}-BUILDLOGS.tar.bz2

Exactly, that's why I asked for the compressed tarball in the first place.

> Maybe in the prep() stage we can then unpack the log files to
> /usr/src/$PACKAGE/.logs and delete the ${FULLPKG}-BUILDLOGS.tar.bz2

Yes, .logs, or LOGS, or even just /usr/src/$PACKAGE[*] -- it's up to you.
As for deleting...  What I normally do with source packages is run
"./PKG-VER.sh prep", and then move PKG-VER.sh, PKG-VER.tar and
PKG-VER.patch to PKG-VER/CYGWIN-PATCHES.  That helps me keep my /usr/src
reasonably clean.  But that's just me, and others may not want stuff
deleted without their permission.
	Igor
[*] If you choose the "no subdirectory" approach, beware that the g-b-s
as it stands will overwrite the logs.  That's why I suggested that the
logs be created with lowercase names initially, but renamed to upper case
in .spkg before building the source package.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu