Re: [ITP] gt5-1.3 -- A terminal program to show disk usage and navigate between directories

"Dave Korn" <dave.korn-RQamRl9Jd2/QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 20 February 2006 16:10, Jari Aalto wrote:
>
>  Of course I read the help page and tried "all".  It didn't work.  Of course,
> I wouldn't expect it to, because, after reading the help page, it explained
> that the "all" doesn't do anything except test the packaging.

[...]
> -- [finish] Removing /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2/gt5-1.3
> -- Done.

The "all" works as expected :-) You just verified the build process.

> I read the built-in help and tried the commands prep, conf, make
> and install in that order.  It didn't work. Let me demonstrate...
>
> dk@rainbow /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> ./gt5-1.3-1.sh prep
[...]
> -- Done.

Ok, "prep" worked.

> dk@rainbow /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> ./gt5-1.3-1.sh conf
[...]
> -- Done.

Ok, "conf" worked.

> dk@rainbow /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> ./gt5-1.3-1.sh make
[...]
> -- Done.

Ok, "make" worked

> dk@rainbow /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> ./gt5-1.3-1.sh install
[...]
> -- See also: find .inst/ -print
> -- Done.

Ok, "install" worked.

> dk@rainbow /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> which gt5
> gt5: Command not found.
>
> Forgive me if I'm being really stupid, or if we just have different
> meanings of the word "work", but I just don't get it: /HOW/ do I
> turn this source tarball into a working, installed version of gt5 on
> my pc?

Good work. You did nothing wrong. The idea of Cygwin packaging is
not to "install live", but into a separate directory. The
result of installation appears inside .inst/ (as hinted briefly in
prevous message);

    /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> find .inst/ -print

This result directory is then converted into [binary] Cygwin Net
Release:

    ./gt5-1.3-1.sh package

But you don't need to do that. The shipment (URLS mentioned) included
the ready made binary package in file:

    gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2

which you can install like any other Cygwin Net Release with:

    tar -C / -jxvf gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2

Hth,
Jari