RE: [ITP] gt5-1.3 -- A terminal program to show disk usage and navigate between directories

On 20 February 2006 21:44, Jari Aalto wrote:

> "Dave Korn" <dave.korn-RQamRl9Jd2/QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Forgive me if I'm being really stupid, or if we just have different
>> meanings of the word "work", but I just don't get it: /HOW/ do I
>> turn this source tarball into a working, installed version of gt5 on
>> my pc?
>
> Good work. You did nothing wrong. The idea of Cygwin packaging is
> not to "install live", but into a separate directory. The
> result of installation appears inside .inst/ (as hinted briefly in
> prevous message);
>
>     /artimi/cyg-test-gt5/test-2> find .inst/ -print
>
> This result directory is then converted into [binary] Cygwin Net
> Release:
>
>     ./gt5-1.3-1.sh package
>
> But you don't need to do that. The shipment (URLS mentioned) included
> the ready made binary package in file:
>
>     gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2
>
> which you can install like any other Cygwin Net Release with:
>
>     tar -C / -jxvf gt5-1.3-1.tar.bz2

  Yeh, OK, I get all that.  What I didn't get is that other source packages,
based on g-b-s /are/ for installing live, whereas source packages based on
cygbuild don't appear to have that ability and I was expecting to find it in
there somewhere without going through the indirect stage of tarring and
untarring an installation.  (And manually running any postinstall script, I
assume?).  GBS-based packages you can run the make install step directly into
your live cygwin installation; cygbuild-based ones you can't, am I right?

    cheers,
      DaveK