Re: [ITP] util-linux

Charles Wilson wrote:
I've got a version of cygutils (1.3.0-1) ready to upload which has the following programs removed:
cal col colcrt colrm column ddate getopt mcookie namei rename rev
Its upload needs to be synchronized with the following:

(1) adding Yaakov's util-linux
> (3) agetty, more, and setsid would have to be marked _obsolete AND dummy
>     packages with version numbers larger than their respective current
>     versions uploaded, for each of those three.

I'll handle the above...

(2) Q: maybe cygutils' setup.hint file should require: util-linux
       PRO: that way, people won't suddenly see their favorite little
            utility disappear
       CON: util-linux requires e2fsprogs and libpcre0.  Since cygutils
            is required by some packages in the Base category, this
            would effectively pull util-linux, e2fsprogs, and libpcre0
            into Base.  Not sure that's a good idea, just so somebody
            can keep their 'ddate' working.
Note: it's even worse: *perl* is a requirement of util-linux (chkdupexe and scriptreplay).

Consensus summary: cygutil's setup.hint should NOT require util-linux. This will have the result that the following utilities
cal col colcrt colrm column ddate getopt mcookie namei rename rev
may silently disappear from users' systems if they only upgrade cygutils without also installing util-linux. Hopefully either (a) few people care about these specific 11 utilities, or (b) those that do care will read the cygwin-announce list.

Finally, I have a few questions about the util-linux -2 packaging.

(A) why are `more' and `arch' in /bin and not /usr/bin ? ("That's the way linux does it" is not sufficient: on linux, there is actually a difference between the two directories.) I'm uncertain that setup.exe will DTRT here, since it is NOT a cygwin program...I'm *fairly* sure it will DTRT, since otherwise all our stuff in /usr/bin wouldn't unpack into CYGWINROOT\bin\ properly but ...

Okay, this isn't really a problem. setup.exe WILL Do The Right Thing, so this is not a showstopper. Personally I'd like to see arch and more explicitly installed into /usr/bin/ not /bin in the next release, but that's just MHO, and the current package is okay as-is, in this respect.

(B) After installing all the prerequisites listed in the README, I can't build the util-linux package. pg.c fails with
pg.c:62:22: nl_types.h: No such file or directory
nl_types is provided by the catgets package, but that's not listed as a prereq. (Further, why is it using catgets, instead of gettext? everything ELSE in util-linux seems to use gettext...) This is probably a build-type NOT run-time dependency, since I doubt pq exec's the gencat.exe utility.

Anyway, after installing the catgets package...the build succeeds.

This is not a showstopper either. Yaakov just needs to promise to update the README file to add catgets as a build dependency for the next release.

So, IMO, all outstanding issues are addressed -- magic three-letter-acronym: GTG.

I'll go ahead do steps #1 and #3 above, and send an announcement about the cygutils update to the relevant list.

--
Chuck