Re: perl-5.9.5

djh schrieb:
Since 5.9.5 is basically a beta 5.10.0, I would actually make it
a test version of a new perl5.10 package (so perl5.10-5.9.5-1).

Since 5.9.5 is 5.9.5, you should leave it as it is and not give it some whimsical name. Such is that which causes confusion. It is better to keep standards and names, rather than invent them.

When 5.10.0 is released, the package would be updated to
perl5.10-5.10.0-1 and move to current.

When 5.10.0 is released then we have 5.10.0.

I believe that keeping to the real names and not inventing others, which would
simply serve to confuse people.

This has been done before, with other packages and does beget confusion.

Respect for a packages, name and version number, should be considered important.
Or is there some fundamental reason why, one needs to use a different
name other than the original.

Yes, you didn't get the point. When you keep the same package name ("perl") you cannot install test and curr versions together.
When you install a test release, the curr release will be uninstalled.

You talk about versions (5.8.8, 5.9.5, 5.10.0), we talk here about package names. We will never change the version from upstream of course.
http://cygwin.com/setup.html#naming
--
Reini