Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr 12 13:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 11 18:47, Brian Dessent wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > Brian, could you please prepare a temporary setup-1.7.exe which
> > > only downloads from the release-2 area?
> >
> > Okay, I uploaded <http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe> which fetches
> > setup-2.{ini,bz2}.  It identifies itself as version 2.590-1.7special on
> > the splash page so that we can tell it apart from the normal.
>
> Cool, thanks!  I've set up a cronjob which updates setup-2.{ini, bz2}
> every hour for now.  I also corrected a dumb mistake I made when
> creating the release-2 area.  The symlinks were all broken on the
> mirrors because they were creatd as absolute paths.  I re-created the
> release-2 area with correct relative symlinks to the release area now.
>
> I guess we'll wait a day until this all settles on the mirrors and
> then I'll create an announcement for the developers and package
> maintainers.

There's a problem, Brian.

I updated my local mirror for a test run.

When I start setup-1.7, it seems to find the already existing c:/cygwin
installation.  Even though I choose "C:/cygwin-2" as installation path,
the new setup-2.ini content is compared against the already existing
installation.  The result is that setup-1.7 offers to install only
the single changed package:  cygwin itself.

Why is setup using the information from the existing installation
even if I choose to install into another directory?  Is it because
the mount points in the registry are looked at?  That's not correct
anymore, given that the registry mount points are not used for the
new installation anyway.

Is it possible to change setup so that it ignores the registry mount
points?  And it must nort write new ones either, btw...

Thanks,

Red Hat