Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:08:49AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr 15 10:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>>I was thinking "Cygwin" would be better as well, but since it is
>>>supposed to be a two-level heirarchy how about
>>>"HK{LM,CU}\Software\Cygwin Project\Cygwin".  It has always seemed to me
>>>that we actively try to de-emphasize any association that Red Hat has
>>>in the actual day-to-day operation of the project, other than owning
>>>the copyrights and having their own commercial fork.  Likewise with the
>>
>>Well, not exactly.  I have done a lot of my 1.7 development lately on
>>blessed Red Hat time.  The IPv6 changes and the long path name support
>>wouldn't be as progressed as they are if I hadn't got enough paid time
>>to do them.  I don't think that deserves to be ignored.
>
>Having said that, should we really rename the registry keys, what do we
>do with the "Program Options" and the two "heap_foo" values?

I'd like to keep the "Program Options" and nuke the "heap_foo" options.

I also object to using "Red Hat" as the "owner" regardless of how much
paid work you've been able to do.  I think it sends an extremely mixed
message for the public Cygwin project to be viewed as "owned" by Red Hat
while we solicit donations to help with development on the Cygwin web
site.  I've been paid by a few companies to work on Cygwin and have been
spent long hours tracking down bugs for them.  Additionally, most of the
work I have done for Cygwin in the past was done in my spare time even
when I was a paid employee

While I realize that you've spent quite a bit more time being paid by
Red Hat to make ipv6 and long path names work, I don't think that
necessarily translates into using Red Hat as the owner key in the
registry.

Also, given that this is a Windows project I have to wonder just how
much Red Hat would desire to have their names in the Windows Registry.

cgf