Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr 22 01:25, Brian Dessent wrote:
> I suppose I didn't state my point very well.  Yes, there are Cygwin
> tools for manipulating the registry.  But the registry is an
> implementation detail, and you should not need to know anything about
> registry keys to uninstall Cygwin.  At the moment this can be
> accomplished via "umount -A" (and "cygrunsrv -R") with zero knowledge of
> where the mount table happens to be implemented, or that there even is a
> registry.
>
> With the mount table no longer stored in the registry, we will have no
> way around saying "you must remove such-and-such key from the
> registry."  This is bad, IMHO.
>
> A separate issue is that even if we document a proper procedure for
> removing Cygwin (as we currently do in the FAQ), users often don't read
> manuals and just plunge in and try to delete stuff.  They fail because
> they forgot to stop services first, or because they don't understand
> file ACLs.  By adding a new key in the registry we make it increasingly
> likely that in their fervor to dive in and delete things without reading
> docs they will miss yet another step.  I want to finally solve this for
> good by making a program that encapsulates all this knowledge so that
> they don't have to RTFM, and so that they just have a nice thing to
> click on like every other well-behaved Windows program.  I think it's
> been a requested feature more than once.

Btw., I think that an uninstall option would be a good thing.

While I talked about the cyglsa DLL in my reply to Chuck on the Cygwin
ML, it occured to me that this would be a job for the uninstaller as well:

If the cyglsa DLL has been added to the registry value

  HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Authentication Packages

it's not possible to remove the DLL unless you reboot.  So, what the
uninstaller would have to do is to remove the substring which contains
"cyglsa.dll" or "cyglsa64.dll" from the above registry value and then
to add the DLL to the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value.

Red Hat