Re: tar and lzma

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
Eric Blake wrote:
| automake's dist-lzma already functions if you install lzma (I know,
| because I used it when creating m4 1.4.10b); automake uses 'tar | lzma'
| rather than 'tar --lzma'.

Furthermore, 'make distcheck' uses 'unlzma | tar'.  Our lzma-4.43-2 does
not provide unlzma.

That's because our lzma is derived from the LZMA SDK, the original, derived-from-7zip-windows-oriented code, by Igor Pavlov.

The near-standard on unix is 'lzma-utils' which is separately developed (but originally derived from and developed in cooperation with Igor). This one provides all those goodies like
usr/bin/lzcat
usr/bin/lzcmp
usr/bin/lzdiff
usr/bin/lzegrep
usr/bin/lzfgrep
usr/bin/lzgrep
usr/bin/lzless
usr/bin/lzmore
usr/bin/unlzma

To make matters more confusing, the debianized patches that *our* version of the lzma program uses, actually originated from the lzma-utils project, giving the lzma.exe application a more gzip-like command like interface. But those patches did not bring over the additional stuff -- like unlzma -- from lzma-util.

I'd *almost* go so far as to suggest that the cygwin lzma package be modified to use the lzma-util source, like most of the other unix distros do. However, the basic core routines from lzma-util in the most recent stable release are still based on LZMA SDK 4.43, rather than the current LZMA SDK 4.57. And the development versions of lzma-util are explicitly alpha and *not ready for archival use*.

--
Chuck