Re: cygport and CYGWIN-PATCHES

Charles Wilson wrote:

How is cygport supposed to create, ex nihilo, your custom README and custom .hint files,

I don't expect it to. I keep versions of these files in the same directory as the cygport file. cygport could be told about these files, and copy them into the proper location during prep. The version numbers and change log stuff will have to be edited, of course, but that's no argument against starting with a known-good base.

Same thing with src patches?

Pretty much, yes. :)

If the previous version required a source patch and it applies cleanly to the new version, it's likely correct, though possibly incomplete. If it fails to apply cleanly, cygport can back out the changes and tell the user to build a new one. Thus, you could tell cygport about a stock src.patch file to try, just like you tell it about the base README and setup.hint files.

Thanks for writing up the steps you use with cygport. They belong in cygport's README. :)