Re: make-3.81-3 (ITA??)

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 04:51:02PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
> I'd like to get make updated to accept paths with colons on Cygwin.  The
> patch that enables this behavior has been available and in fairly wide use
> for almost 2 years.
>
> I've read http://cygwin.com/setup.html.  I've followed the instructions up
> to "Updating a Package", which seems to imply that only package owners can
> update a package.
>
> How does a non-package owner go about updating a package?  Who's the
> current make package owner?  Is make available for adoption?

The last update to make was in January of this year so it is obviously
being actively supported.

Make is supported by me and I've made my opinions on the matter of
colons clear.  When there is a new release of make, I'll make a new
cygwin release available.  If the new release handles colons
transparently I won't actively break the patch but it won't be actively
supported either, i.e., I won't respond to bug reports on it.

This isn't really open for discussion so please don't send an
impassioned plea.  It isn't appropriate for this list and it has been
discussed to death on the Cygwin list.

cgf