Re: New Cygwin 1.7.0-18 in release-2

On Jul 21 18:42, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> I've considered making the switch, as the new features in 1.7 (namely
> IPv6 and wchar functions) would make porting *much* easier.  It might
> also provide the chance to finally close the gap between Ports and the
> distro, and generally improve our packaging scheme at the same time.
>
> OTOH I don't have only myself to think about; with all my packages, I
> doubt that I'll be able to support 1.5 any more after I switch.

Not even pure security updates?

> It would help if I could get some clarification on:
>
> *) When 1.7 goes gold (and I don't mean binutils!), is the recommended
> upgrade path going to be in the same (Windows) tree, or to start fresh
> in a new directory?

When 1.7 goes gold, the idea is to install over an 1.5 install.  Or not.
It's the choice of the user.  Installing over 1.5 is supported by the
base-cygwin package, which is supposed to convert the registry mount
points to /etc/fstab mount points.  OTOH, a 1.7 install can coexist with
a 1.5 install on the same machine.

> *) Is gcc-4.3 in the near future for 1.7?  Will gcc define
> _GLIBCXX_USE_WCHAR_T?  Will it provide shared libgcc, libstdc++, etc?

That's one for Dave to answer.

> *) Is there a roadmap of what needs to be done for 1.7?  I know you
> don't want to provide a date, but some focus and perspective would be
> helpful.

There's no roadmap.  What's missing for a release is

- A new setup.exe

- The Cygwin utils are not quite up to speed

- Documentation changes

- Support by the package maintainers

- Testing

All of the above items could need a helping hand.  If 1.7 isn't too
buggy, I plan to release 1.7 still in 2008.  When that actually happens
doesn't depend on me.  Cygwin 1.7 development has gone on for two years
and it comes with a lot of changes.  Not all of them allow a 100% smooth
transition.
Eventually this release depends on the support it gets from all of you.

Red Hat