Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Jul 24 15:40, Phil Nelson wrote:
> 1.5:
>
>    cd /cygdrive/n
>    ls -ldn JUNK
>    drwxr-xr-x 1 500 513 0 May 27 10:54 JUNK
>
> 1.7:
>
>   cd /cygdrive/n
>   ls -ldn JUNK
>   drwxr-x--- 1 4294967295 4294967295 0 Jan 14 2008 JUNK
>
> So it looks like user, group, permissions and dates are all wrong under 1.7.

No, they aren't.  The reason for this effect is that in 1.5, the user
and group ownership, as well as the permissions were ignored by default
(CYGWIN=nosmbntsec).

With 1.7, CYGWIN=(no)ntsec and CYGWIN=(no)smbntsec are going away in
favor of the "(no)acl" mount option.  acl == ntsec is default.  That
means, you see correct permissions, but the user and group information
(if not backed by a domain controller and bein available in your
Cygwin's /etc/passwd and /etc/group anyway) can't be resolved unless you
have matching user and group entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

However, there was still a problem up to 1.7.0-18 which results in a
access denied message when trying to create files on a samba share with
"acl" on.  I'm just going to upload 1.7.0-21.  I changed the mkpasswd
and mkgroup tools so that they now allow to create passwd and group
entries for users and groups from Samba servers:

  $ mkpasswd -L samba-machine,100000 -U 0,500-510
  $ mkgroup -L samba-machine,100000 -U 0,users

These commands will create entries from the global user list on the
Samba machine (-L machinename).  The local created uids will be mapped
with an offset of 100000.  Additionally, it will create entries for the
standard UNIX accounts on the Samba machine for the users with uids 0
and 500-510.  Same for the groups with uid 0 and name "users".  The
standard UNIX accounts are the ones you see in the Windows security
tab as "Unix User\foouser" and "Unix Group\foogroup".

If that's all too complicated for you, use the mount option noacl
for this drive.

HTH,

Red Hat