Re: base-[files|password] for 1.7

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corinna Vinschen" <>
To: <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: base-[files|password] for 1.7 (was Re: Cygwin 1.7.0-20 (was Re: Cygwin 1.7.0-19
(was Re: New Cygwin 1.7.0-18 in release-2)))

| On Jul 28 15:51, John Morrison wrote:
| > On Tue, July 22, 2008 6:42 pm, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
| > >   You can now call mkpasswd and mkgroup without any -l or -d parameter
| > >   and both tools choose by themselves what information to print, depending
| > >   on the machine being a domain member machine or not.
| > >
| > >   This should result in a matching change to the base-passwd package for
| > >   1.7.  The /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh script should call both tools
| > >   without any parameter.
| > >
| > >   Could you please change that for us, John?
| >
| > Ok, changed base-password/etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh to remove the
| > parameters when calling mkpasswd and mkgroup.  I've left the rest of the
| > script the same; that's OK?
|
| Yep, that's ok.
|
| > Do we still want the base-files profile to have the message wrt group
| > names of mkpassword/mkgroup/mkgroup_l_d?
|
| Hmm, well, it doesn't hurt a lot, right?  Using the new mkpasswd and
| mkgroup will probably reduce printing this message a lot, if not
| entirely.

Looks like without argument the new mk{passwd/group} will dump the entire
passwd/group from the domain server. Some companies have tens of thousands
of names and that's why they weren't called with -l -d by default but with -l -c

The -c switch would only create an entry for the current user or the current primary group
WITHOUT contacting the domain server. mkpasswd could do a good job for passwd
using only local info but mkgroup could not find the group name, so it was
calling it "mkgroup-l-d" .

The new mkgroup also has a -c option, which  gets the current primary group name.
That's great, but does it contact the server? If so, how does it behave when a domain
user installs cygwin while not connected to the domain server? That case generated
complaints in the past.

I also noticed that the new mkpasswd -c does not put a guess about the full user name
in the comment field
old -c:
p-humblet:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:11068:11031:p-humblet,U-W...
new -c
p-humblet:unused:11068:11031: U-W...         <== no p-humblet
{old,new} -d
p-humblet:unused:11068:11031:Pierre Humblet,U-W...

Pierre