Re: [ITP] bind-9.6.0-1

On Jan 21 11:20, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Why does the bind package require an /etc/resolv.conf file?  Isn't that
> > used only by the resolver lib?  And the resolver lib is part of Cygwin
> > 1.7 anyway, or in the minires package for Cygwin 1.5.  Minires/Cygwin 1.7
> > don't need a resolv.conf file, so why does bind?!?
>
> I was attempting to avoid a FAQ.  BIND is a DNS suite, and it needs to
> know the address of a nameserver in order to do lookups.  The usage of
> /etc/resolv.conf is well documented in both the manpages and the online
> manual.

Ok, but the Cygwin resolver lib also works without this file because the
nameserver information can be (and is) fetched from Windows.  Would it
be feasible to use the same method as the resolver lib so that we don't
have two libs using different methods?  The resolver lib uses
/etc/resolv.conf, but falls back to calling the Windows function
GetNetworkParam to fetch this information if the resolve.conf file
doesn't exist(*).

Corinna

(*) On NT4 the GetNetworkParam function is missing so the resolver
    checks the registry directly, but given the age of NT4 I wouldn't
    be too concerned...

Red Hat