Re: Setup.exe issues between Win2k and WinXP - does it use different logic for setup retrieval or package ver selection

More on this.

Brian Keener wrote:
> Mirror Error: Setup.ini signature file
> ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/cygwin/setup.bz2.sig from
> ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/cygwin/ failed to verify.
> Possible corrupt mirror?  Setup.ini rejected.

I found several emails regarding the -X command line option for setup.exe
to ignore the sig files which took care of the above errors - yes I should
have searched more for command line options or the word signature - my
apologies.  Although I'm not sure why the Win2k install was seeing this
but the WinXp install was not.  After that I started digging deeper WinXp
said certain packages were current but the Win2k install wanted the
earlier version.  As I mention previously:

> If I then look at the downloaded setup.ini files on each machine in the
> download directory the files match what setup showed for that machine -
> IE the setup.ini file for the same mirror for the 2 different machines
> is different even though I ran the setup.ini simultaneously so I could
> see what happened that was different.

I did this test again but went a step further.  I saved the setup.exe from
cygwin.com on both machines and ran it - this created a setup.ini file for
each of the mirrors I previously mentioned.  Looking at the WinXp version
for 2 packages I know had issues (libcairo-devel and libcairo) the
setup.ini from the gatech mirror had the current versions (1.8...).  When
I looked at the Win2k version it showed the older versions (1.6...). I
then downloaded the setup.bz2 from the gatech mirror on each machine and
when I bunzip2'd it on each machine the libcairo entries on the Winxp
matched the setup.ini and the  setup from setup.bz2 on the win2k also had
the correct versions but the setup.ini file looks strange - see examples:

This is from setup.bz2:
setup-timestamp: 1232614829
setup-version: 2.573.2.3

@ libcairo-devel
sdesc: "Cross-device vector graphics library (development files)"
ldesc: "Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output
support. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System and in-memory image buffers. PostScript and PDF file output is
planned. Cairo is designed to produce identical output on all output
media while taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when
available (eg. through the X Render Extension)."
category: X11
requires: cygwin libcairo2 libfontconfig-devel libfreetype2-devel
libglitz-devel libpixman1-devel libpng12-devel libX11-devel libxcb-devel
libxcb-render-devel libxcb-render-util-devel libXrender-devel zlib
version: 1.8.6-1
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo-devel/libcairo-devel-1.8.6-1.tar.bz2
129458 6e3f9c0035411386cb7536f755101df8
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.8.6-1-src.tar.bz2 6467933
fe2a51e7153b02fae60a9b09df234500
[prev]
version: 1.6.4-2
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo-devel/libcairo-devel-1.6.4-2.tar.bz2
116101 fd59249e987b9b601e6645e7f6aced59
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.6.4-2-src.tar.bz2 4983611
d8037f7f113bf8c3601d04ff4cba0e46

@ libcairo2
sdesc: "Cross-device vector graphics library (runtime)"
ldesc: "Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output
support. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System and in-memory image buffers. PostScript and PDF file output is
planned. Cairo is designed to produce identical output on all output
media while taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when
available (eg. through the X Render Extension)."
category: X11
requires: cygwin libfontconfig1 libfreetype26 libglitz1 libpixman1_0
libpng12 libX11_6 libxcb1 libxcb-render0 libxcb-render-util0 libXrender1
zlib
version: 1.8.6-1
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo2/libcairo2-1.8.6-1.tar.bz2 418727
143c593fb16f6ab074eb8838e6127717
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.8.6-1-src.tar.bz2 6467933
fe2a51e7153b02fae60a9b09df234500
[prev]
version: 1.6.4-2
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo2/libcairo2-1.6.4-2.tar.bz2 431551
9de3b276afd7861f75c79cdab0eb628a
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.6.4-2-src.tar.bz2 4983611
d8037f7f113bf8c3601d04ff4cba0e46

and this is from the setup.ini that resulted:
setup-timestamp: 1231305645
setup-version: 2.573.2.3

@ libcairo-devel
sdesc: "Cross-device vector graphics library (development files)"
ldesc: "Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output
support. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System and in-memory image buffers. PostScript and PDF file output is
planned. Cairo is designed to produce identical output on all output
media while taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when
available (eg. through the X Render Extension)."
category: X11
requires: cygwin libcairo2 libX11-devel libXrender-devel
libfontconfig-devel libfreetype2-devel libglitz-devel libpixman1-devel
libpng12-devel zlib
version: 1.6.4-2
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo-devel/libcairo-devel-1.6.4-2.tar.bz2
116101 fd59249e987b9b601e6645e7f6aced59
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.6.4-2-src.tar.bz2 4983611
d8037f7f113bf8c3601d04ff4cba0e46

@ libcairo2
sdesc: "Cross-device vector graphics library (runtime)"
ldesc: "Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output
support. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System and in-memory image buffers. PostScript and PDF file output is
planned. Cairo is designed to produce identical output on all output
media while taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when
available (eg. through the X Render Extension)."
category: Libs X11
requires: cygwin libX11_6 libXrender1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype26
libglitz1 libpixman1_0 libpng12 zlib
version: 1.6.4-2
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo2/libcairo2-1.6.4-2.tar.bz2 431551
9de3b276afd7861f75c79cdab0eb628a
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.6.4-2-src.tar.bz2 4983611
d8037f7f113bf8c3601d04ff4cba0e46
[prev]
version: 1.0.2-1
install: release/X11/cairo/libcairo2/libcairo2-1.0.2-1.tar.bz2 146299
00aab7633897e13af90495f7c9811610
source: release/X11/cairo/cairo-1.0.2-1-src.tar.bz2 1474378
726d355d5ef44c94e7f1ada633db331e

What would cause something like this - I have checked mounts and as I say
I see the correct info if I manually download setup.bz2 and unpack it.

Any thoughts.

bk