Re: Suggestion for terminal package maintainers

Thomas Wolff:
> Checking escape sequences of function keys and keypad keys, there are
> many similarities (and common deficiencies) with Linux console and
> some weird differences:

> * Linux console (SUSE, don't know if it's really consistent) defines
> Âfunction keys F1...F12 and Shift-F1...Shift-F8 (very weird to stop here).

The reason for the might be that the VT220 had 20 function keys.
Shift-F1...Shift-F8 emulate F13...F20.

> * Cygwin console Shift-F1 and Shift-F2 are identical to F11 and F12,
> ÂI don't think that's intended, I guess it should also be changed
> Âon the occasion of revising the console.
> * Cygwin console has shifted function keys up to Shift-F10, no F11/F12.

Seems they took the approach that Shift adds 10 rather than 12 to the
function key number. I'd suspect that's because XT and AT keyboards
only had 10 function keys.

> Not quite the pseudo terminal. It's the readline function (of bash, cat, ...)
> so obviously ^? rubs out the ESC again as it should.

It's readline for bash, but the terminal device for programs like cat
or od, which don't use the readline library.

> By the way, I've always wondered why I cannot use "cat" for a quick test
> of most keyboard escape sequences in cygwin. This works quite nicely in
> Linux (except for the case above, apparently). On cygwin, entering cursor
> keys to "cat" just lets the cursor wander around, while on Linux it echoes
> the escapes

Hmm, looks like 'cat' on Cygwin doesn't disable echoing in the
terminal driver then. Assuming it's unmodified source, perhaps it gets
configured differently for some reason.

Andy