Re: Start menu shortcuts

Jon TURNEY wrote:
> I'm not sure what to do about X-start-menu-icons.
>
> I think Yaakov has some ideas about how to approach this, but I don't
> know what they are.
>
> Anyhow, this is something I am willing to spend a bit of time on, if
> there was some vague consensus as to the direction we should be heading in.

IMO, each (X) package should, in its own postinstall script, create the
start menu shortcut it needs, using mkshortcut from cygutils.  That
postinstall script should also invoke whatever tool is necessary and
supported to add its opendesktop menu items to the cygwin area, so that
cygwin/gnome and/or cygwin/kde window managers are happy -- at the
package maintainer's discretion.   I believe Yaakov's ideas revolve
around automating this with certain primitives to be invoked within
.cygport packaging scripts.

How to manange the transition, from the monolithic X-start-menu-icons
package and script, to this distributed approach -- no idea.

--
Chuck