Re: [Setup] Need customization on setup.exe

On Thu, May 6, 2010 5:35 pm, Krishna Achugatla wrote:
> On 6 May 2010 08:59, Christopher Faylor
> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 08:18:34AM -0700, Krishna Achugatla wrote:
>>>Currently we have windows installer to install Symbian developer
>>>tools. Size of the tools are huge and want to improve on the
>>>installer.
>>>Cygwin installer is best fit for our need, like download the light
>>>weight installer and then download all the user selected components
>>>under the hood from network.
>>>Following are the requirements of our project
>>>1) Clone the setup.exe project and customize it
>>>2)?Symbian logo in the installer, instead of a Cygiwn logo
>>>3) Have our own categories like Build, Test, Analysis, etc
>>>4) Need to access multiple mirror locations, as few components will be
>>>hosted by Nokia and few components will be hosted by Symbian
>>>5) Customized?End-user license agreement (EULA).
>>>Pls let us know, is it possible to have the requirements mentioned
>>>above as part of Cygwin setup.exe project.
>>
>> If you are asking for us to do the above work for you (which you
>> probably aren't) then the answer is a resounding NO.
>>
>> If you're asking if the above is possible then, except for 5) the answer
>> is
>> an obvious "yes". ïIt's just software after all.
>>
>> You can't slap your own EULA on the code. ïThis is GPLed code. ïIf you
>> distribute the binary, you need to also be able to send people the
>> source code. ïYou can't put your own license on it.
>>
>> If you decide to go ahead with this, it probably goes without saying
>> that we won't be interested in supporting your efforts here. ïI don't
>> believe that anyone is going to want to help you customize setup.exe in
>> this manner but, if they do, it isn't really an appropriate subject for
>> the Cygwin mailing lists since this would not really have anything to do
>> with Cygwin.
>>
>> cgf
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Thank you very much the quick reply.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. We will make all the required changes to
> Setup. But was interested to know the required changes are possible or
> not. With you reply, all (except 5) are possible as it's just a
> software after all.
>
> Probably, we need your support in making a clone of the Setup, so that
> we can make required changes on top of it.
>
> Please let us know the procedure to have a clone of the Setup project?.
>
> FYI: I was able to successfully build the sources of Setup that I got
> using CVS.
>
> Regards,
> Krishna.

I read 5 as being a EULA for the software that the modified setup would
_install_ rather than an EULA for setup itself.  Christopher, in this case
is 5 still not possible (assuming that none of the software the modified
setup installs goes against the EULA?)

BTW, Krishna, this list usually bottom posts ;)