Re: [ITP] mingw-w64

On 7/2/2010 1:41 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 2 July 2010 08:17, JonY wrote:
>> OK to upload if packaging is fine, no changes needed.
>
> Great to see mingw64 coming to Cygwin, but I think the upload should
> wait until Cygwin gcc maintainer Dave Korn has had a chance to comment
> on this.

I agree. Apparently DK has been AFK for a few weeks, but I think he's
back now.

> Is mingw64 already part of a major Linux distribution? Otherwise it
> needs five votes from Cygwin maintainers.

AFAICT, mingw64 is "the" mingw cross compiler provided by fedora.

> Also, are you sure that gcc-4.6 is sufficiently stable for release,
> i.e. that there won't be any more compatibility breaking changes
> before official release?

That...is beyond my ken.

> Finally, I'm not sure what the conclusion was about which toolchain(s)
> will be included. Looks like a single multilib toolchain defaulting to
> 64 bits to me. If that's the case, is the "tc64" bit in the name
> actually needed?

IMO, even if JonY has no *immediate* plans for a default-to-32bit
toolchain (whether multilib or single target), I think it makes sense to
allow for the possibility in the package naming scheme.

And...JonY already said he was "saving" the /i686-w64-mingw32/* tree for
use by "the" default-to-32bit toolchain, so...

--
Chuck