Re: gcc4: next release

On 07/07/2010 02:47, JonY wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I ask what will be the next version of GCC be in Cygwin?

  4.5.0-1 if I'm snappy.  4.5.1-1 if I'm not.  I plan to get back to it at the
start of next week.

> This makes GCC look in /usr/mingw regardless of what the toolchain
> target is (anything matching mingw*), bad idea if we want a gcc 4
> mingw.org cross toolchain later. It can be fixed, but I'm not too sure
> how yet. Locale data is also conflicting. Yaakov suggested that I sync
> up with Cygwin GCC so the clash won't be so problematic, eg 4.5.0 Cygwin
> with 4.5.1 branch snapshot for mingw-w64.
>
> GCC 4.5.x branch and the 4.6.x branch ABI changed for win64, I'm trying
> to avoid breaking user's self-built packages, so 4.5.0 and earlier is
> out of the question. The current 4.3.4 is too old for mingw-w64.

  Going with 4.5.1 seems the simplest solution.

  I'm slightly astonished though!  How on earth did you manage to swing
permission to put an ABI-breaking backwardly-incompatible change on a release
branch?

    cheers,
      DaveK

(still catching up with the backlog - I haven't finished reading this thread
yet...)