Re: [ITP] win-ssh-agent 1.07

On Nov  4 15:37, Nayuta Taga wrote:

> >>+1 Sounds useful.
> >
> > I don't agree. ?I don't see why this couldn't be accomplished using
> > standard UNIX tools
>
> The win-ssh-agent is for applications that uses the cygwin openssh
> internally and are executed from the Explorer (i.e. via the
> ShellExecute() API).
>
> The keychain in the distribution cannot propagate SSH_AUTH_SOCK to
> them.

You can eaily propagate the SSH_* environment variables to other
sessions via scripting, if you store the variables in a known path.
You don't have to change the registry for that to work.

> Example:
>
> Consider the ntemacs ( http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/ ) .
>
> (1) I want to use it because the cygwin emacs does not have its own
>     windows.  The cygwin emacs works only in the terminal.

Try xemacs.  It has a Windows GUI fallback mode if there's no X display.

> (2) I want to run it from the start menu or the Windows 7's task bar
>     (not from the cygwin bash shell).  It is the window's style to run
>     applications.

You can start it from the start menu via a bash script which pulls in
the SSH_* environment before starting emacs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to include win-ssh-agent into the
distro if it gets enough votes, but there are simple ways to solve this
problem without a Windows GUI application.

Red Hat