Re: cygport: Adding arbitrary files to the src package

On May  7 16:40, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 10:01:44PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On May  7 15:44, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> FWIW, I think it makes sense for it to be a separate package or even for
> >> it just to be installed along-side cygwin1.dll in the standard
> >> distribution.  We already install /usr/include along with cygwin1.dll so
> >> it sorta kinda is consistent to also include cygwin1.dbg too if you
> >> squint at it just right.
> >
> >That's a good point.  I think I'd prefer the extra cygwin-debug package,
> >but we could even go a step further and create a cygwin-devel package
> >instead, which contains the contents of /usr/include, /usr/lib, and
> >asorted files from usr/bin like, say, cygwin1.dbg, dumper.exe, ssp.exe,
> >strace.exe.  That's dead simple with cygport.
>
> I think a cygwin-devel makes sense but I wasn't going to suggest the
> extra work.
>
> How fine-grained do we get though?  cygwin-support for cygcheck.exe and
> mount.exe?  cygwin-devel for /usr/include?  cygwin-debug for cygwin1.dbg?

As fine-grained as we want, in theory.

However, most of the Cygwin tools are required for a base install anyway
in postinstall scripts.  The problem is not to create a lot of packages,
but to make sure the dependencies don't suddenly break the installation.
So the base tools should better stay in the cygwin package.

On second thought, to avoid any problems for 1.7.15 I rather keep it
simple for now and only create a -debug package for cygwin1.dbg.

Red Hat