Re: LICENSE: base-files and use of CC0 - public domain

On Oct 27 15:56, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 27 16:46, Jari Aalto wrote:
> > On 2012-10-27 12:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > | The setup files in Fedora don't have such a header either.  The only
> > | copyright note is this text in /usr/share/doc/setup${vers}/COPYING:
> > |
> > |   Setup package is public domain.
> > |
> > |   You are free to use, copy, distribute or modify included files
> > |   without restrictions.
> >
> > Arguable not safe choice any more today. It may have been 20-30 years ago
> > in a different world without companies and people suing and without
> > software patents around the corners.
>
> I asked our legal team for advice.  Stay tuned.

I got a reply already.  Thank you, Richard!  The gist of Richard's reply
is

  For these kinds of files it seems like overkill to put in any explicit
  legal notice (I would not consider it common practice). But a CC0
  notice is an entirely appropriate choice if you are going to use an
  explicit notice; perhaps the most reasonable choice.

Red Hat