Re: [64bit] Biber packaging questions

Ken Brown writes:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the need for bundle
> packages.

Certainly there is no need to bundle in many cases.  But if there is
(like with perl_vendor), I think it is easy.

>  Take the example of biber.  I had to build a bunch of perl-*
> packages, and cygport figured out the dependencies among them and the
> dependencies of biber.  A user who installs biber automatically gets
> the necessary Perl modules without ever having to look at them in the
> chooser.  How would a bundle make this easier?

Not at all for the runtime dependencies.

> A few of the perl-* packages are needed for building biber but not for
> using it.  I took care of these by setting DEPEND in the .cygport
> files. So people who want to replicate the build will need to select
> the necessary packages [listed by cygport] in the chooser.  A bundle
> would admittedly make this easier.

Yes, this is one of the things I use bundles for, although not for each
package.  I've just bundled all the distributions that I need for
building (but not at runtime) seperately, since those do not need to be
installed on machines that are not used for building.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: