This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: x86/ -> ./ symlink
- From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo dot de>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 21:52:19 +0200
- Subject: Re: x86/ -> ./ symlink
- References: <20130701092301 dot GD2000 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20130701111532 dot GA20414 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20130701114624 dot GE2000 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20130701125056 dot GF2000 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20130701151815 dot GA4763 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20130701164017 dot GB4763 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <87li5qdxdp dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20130701180225 dot GC4763 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <87hagedrdu dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20130702092849 dot GA10542 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20130702094006 dot GB10542 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Having said that, I could also change setup so that any setup.ini file
>> which is not under a $target subdir is still recognized, but only when
>> trying to install a 32 bit Cygwin. This should make the code backward
>> compatible with existing layouts.
I'm usually for backwards compatibility, however in this case the
current behaviour is largely undocumented and somewhat surprising, so
lets drop the cruft and clearly specify which directory layouts are
expected and supported.
> Easier said than done. If I change the code to ignore the subdir name
> on 32 bit installs, then it will pick up 64 bit setup.ini files, too.
> Bad, bad, bad.
> Given that, I really think the best way to handle this is to use
> different ini file names:
> setup-x86.ini -> 32 bit
> setup-x86_64.ini -> 64 bit
> setup.ini -> allow with 32 bit install for backward compat.
Yes, that looks nicer to me. Yet another option is to stick with
setup.ini and merge the information into a single file with [x86] and
[x86_64] install sections. That cutss down on redundant information
like descriptions, but maybe intertwines the two architectures more than
wanted. But if these are expected to converge, then maybe this is the
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation: