Re: [64bit] Some packaging problems

On Jul 17 09:26, Charles Wilson wrote:
so it's not like it could coexist with a future libexpat2-devel.  I
think the "libexpat1-devel" name in 2.1.0-2 is a mistake, and it
expat should be repackaged to use "traditional" names, as it did in
2.1.0-1:

    expat
    expat-debuginfo
    libexpat1
    libexpat-devel (no "1")

Then the existing requires: in other package's setup.hints do not
need to be changed.

To follow the 32 bit lead, we should stick to libexpat1-devel.  See the
32 bit version:

   expat/
     expat-debuginfo/
     libexpat0/
     libexpat1/
     libexpat1-devel/

Well, I think they are both wrong. But...that's a maintainer decision (Warren Young), really, unless overruled by one of the benign dictators. :-)

groff ships with some scripts
[...]
and cygport is smart.  We should probably split the groff package up
as well...fedora has
    groff-base
    groff-perl
    groff-x11 (*)
    groff-doc
    groff
[...]

Sounds good to me.

Well, again, it's really up to the maintainer (cgf), but pulling perl into Base is A Bad Thing...

--
Chuck