Re: Looking for test subjects for a new way to upload packages

On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:00:32PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 06:39:45PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I'm tinkering with a new way to upload packages which will allow limited
>>ssh access to sourceware.org.
>>
>>If any maintainer is interested in participating I'd appreciate it if
>>you'd send me an ssh public key.  Ideally this would be someone who
>>doesn't already have ssh access.  I'd like to experiment with people
>>who don't already have accounts.
>>
>>Please send me private email with your public key and a short user name
>>you'd like to see for the system.  And, hopefully, you'll be willing to
>>participate in some back and forth while I work out the kinks.
>>
>>My email domain name is cgf.cx.  And I think you probably know my usual
>>initials.
>
>I didn't make it clear that this is intended to be a way for any package
>maintainer to upload their own packages via ssh, i.e., no more RFU
>messages here.  You will just upload your package, it will be lint checked
>for completeness, and then the packages will be merged into the main
>release area.
>
>Right now, the way I'm trying to set things up are that you will be able
>to sftp to sourceware and you'll be presented with a directory that
>contains noarch, x86, and x86_64 directories.  You'd create a
>subdirectory hierarchy underneath those, similar to what is now in the
>release directories and upload packages there.
>
>If this happens, I'll probably eventually start an archiving process
>which will move old packages, not referenced by setup.hint, out of
>the release area.
>
>I need the public key to control who gets access to what.  I want to
>set things up so that maintainers can only upload packages that they
>are responsible for as per cygwin-pkg-maint.

Just one more thing:  I don't have everything in place for this yet.
I just wanted to get some people onboard early.  I'm a few days away
from this actually being able to install anything.

I hit a snag last night in my master scheme so I have to think about
how I want to move forward.

Thanks to the people who have volunteered so far and apologies for
not being completely clear.

cgf