Re: [ITA] Git et al

On 01/11/2014 01:01 PM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Our Git package hasn't been updated in a long time. Although its
> maintainer, Eric Blake, has been on the mailing lists, I don't think
> he's done any work in keeping Git up-to-date (including replying to a
> number of requests for updates), so I'd like to offer to take over.

While I'm not completely gone from cygwin, and while it is unusual for
someone to forcefully take over a package while the current maintainer
is still around, this is one case where I'm willing to give up my
maintainership.  There are some packages I still maintain (like
coreutils) where there are cygwin-specific patches that I want to ensure
still work across multiple cygwin versions and where I still actively
maintain efforts for those projects upstream; but when it comes to git,
I only originally volunteered for maintainer status because it built out
of the box and was needed for my work on upstream coreutils, and I am
not a very active upstream git contributor.  In short, git is a big
enough project and my cygwin time limited enough that I have not been
able to maintain it well, so I hope you can do a better job with keeping
the cygwin port up-to-date.  That said, while I don't have as much time
for cygwin packaging, I still DO plan on using git on cygwin, so I at
least want to make sure my use cases still work when upgrading to the
build you just provided before we actually upload it.

> Following http://cygwin.com/setup.html, I've copied the assorted
> setup.hint files below and uploaded the packages to
> http://tastycake.net/~adam/git. I've uploaded as .xz bundles, on the

It may still be a few days before I can test that your new packaging
works for me (I'd welcome a review from anyone else as well), but the
overall idea of adopting the package from me seems reasonable.

I also wonder if you would be willing to adopt asciidoc, as the only
reason I took that package was to build git documentation out-of-the-box
(I have never personally used it except for building git).