Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3

On 2014-01-15 03:12, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
2014/1/14 Yaakov (Cygwin/X):
I don't see any links to a -src package, or better yet, a URL to the
.cygport and patches (if any).

That's because  the -src package is the same as
the "sqlite3" src package.
However, the one with the latest modifications can be found here now:
     <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/sqlite3-3.8.2-3-src.tar.xz>

What is the source of the ICU and zlib patches, and why have you added them? ICU is a *huge* dependency for something as small as sqlite3.

Your src.patch includes an incorrect hunk for sqlite3.h:SQLITE_VERSION_NUMBER. I also don't understand the reasoning for your tclsqlite3.c patches.

Also, you also clobbered the upstream README with a Cygwin-specific one; please don't do that.

It's not a problem, but partly-versioned (only the "3") library file
has the advantage that no uninstall needs to be done after
an upgrade to a higher version. The directory cannot
accidentally keep old versions of files around, every
upgrade will simply overwrite it with the new version.

Huh? setup will remove the previous version before installing the newer one anyway.

If the filename is agreed upon, still agreement is needed on
the directory where those file should be installed. Using
/usr/lib/tcl8.x/sqlite3 is not strange at all: TEA dictates
that there should be a tclConfig.sh file in /usr/lib, but
Debian moves that to /usr/lib/tcl8.x as well. It's
already in the search path of Tcl, so it will work
without the need to patch Tcl itself.

No one's talking about patching Tcl. The OOTB default works as well, and doesn't pollute a directory which is currently used solely for the standard library.

TEA (without full-version):
TM (Tcl module new style):
My suggestion (looks like Fedora's "sqlite-tcl" package):

If it works, don't fix it.  IMO we should let TEA do its thing.

And who can add the "tcl-sqlite3" package to cygwin-pkg-maint?

That's not necessary, as it will have an external-source: sqlite3.

Yaakov