Re: 64-bit: Missing perl modules

Reini Urban writes:
> Nope.

Care to explain?

> You can do individual perlrebase or wait for the full autorebase for
> every XS installation.

Or do an ephemeral rebase that is taking the rebase map of the rest of
the system correctly into account.

> With individual split perl_vendor packages the user needs to wait for
> every single rebase update.

No.  You can run the incremental rebase directly if you wish and as long
as the rest of the system had been rebased correctly it will only touch
the new stuff.

> With the combined perl_vendor I'll do it as part of the build step and
> the user only needs to wait for one rebase run.

You wouldn't need a special perlrebase for that, that's the whole point.

> Sure, that's automatic of you care to package everything.
> But updates come every week, not every two years.

In my case I have to package things anyway since I need to distribute
the to a bunch of machines that have no outward connection.  Besides the
need for an internal CPAN mirror, I'd generally not trust a random user
to run a CPAN update and make a judgment of whether or not everything
worked as expected.  Packaging some 300 Perl distributions really is
less work than any of the alternatives and keeping things up-to-date
isn't all that time-consuming so far.

Regards,
Achim.