This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
man-db: cache handling
- From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:12:40 -0500
- Subject: man-db: cache handling
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on my
3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help for
manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
cache. In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship a
new release without the postinstall/preremove?