Re: [RFC] incremental rebase

On Dec  7 11:45, Achim Gratz wrote:
Corinna Vinschen writes:
The _update-info-dir script just collects all info files from /usr/info
and /usr/share/info and creates new "dir" using install-info.  I was
hoping that the method from _{inc}autorebase could be simply adapted to
include .info files instead of .dll, .so and .oct files.

The .info suffix may not be universally used as it is not required.  The
check shouldn't be much more complicated (I'd extract for the info path
instead of the suffix),

Yeah, the filename rules are a bit weird.  Info files may be split into
foo, foo-1, foo-2 and so on, and only the non-suffixed of them should be
fed to install-info.  Plus, taking the compression suffix into account,
plus, there may be non-info files in the info dirs as well, see
/usr/share/info/libidn-components.png.  Update-info-dir.sh ignores the
latter, but the --quite option suppresses any errors.

I'm not convinced that we need to worry so much about all these details. What if we just check (based on timestamps of files in /etc/setup/*.lst.gz) whether anything has been installed into /usr/info or /usr/share/info since we last did this check. If so, then just do exactly what the current update-info-dir.sh does.

autorebase can't get away with anything so simple, but it seems to me that this is good enough for update_info_dir.

Ken