Re: Question about clisp version naming

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 23:16 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
> > The clisp executables are not stripped because apparently there's a
> > disassemble command within clisp that doesn't work if the executables
> > are stripped.  I don't actually know anything about this, but there
> > was a comment about that in the .cygport file that I inherited from
> > Reini. This may or may not explain why maxima.exe didn't like being
> > stripped.
>
> Looking at the executable it seems that it is a very small (~66 kiB)
> stub that then proceeds to load the rest of the file after having
> started the runtime.  The memory image seems simply bolted on (as an
> overlay?), and gets removed when the executable is stripped.

That sounds very similar to OCaml; if so, I would expect there to be
some sort of magic number in the binary that can be used to identify
this type of executable (just because file(1) doesn't know about it
doesn't mean it doesn't exist).  If we can pinpoint that, cygport can be
patched to not strip them.

--
Yaakov