Re: Question about clisp version naming

Ken Brown writes:
>> So maybe you could dump a memory image maxima.mem and start it with a
>> script that calls 'clisp -M maxima.mem'.

I'm already doing that.  :-)

> I just took a look at the maxima package, and it seems that you
> already use a script that does something like this in the absence of a
> maxima executable.  Is it really much slower to start maxima that way?

Not for me, but I'm using an SSD.  I haven't yet tested on spinning rust
or over slow network.  But I don't really think it makes much of a
difference, it seems it just has to open one more file than it would
otherwise.  I'm not sure if there are other platforms for clisp that
can't dump executables, if so you might look at whether they remove the
corresponding code and/or warn or error out on an attempt to dump an
executable.

> I tried 'clisp -M maxima.mem', and it started up instantly.  Whatever
> other overhead there is in the maxima script seems to be the same
> whether there's a maxima executable or not.  But maybe I'm missing
> something.

As I said, I've revoked the maxima-exec-clisp package for now, so
whether you either come up with a solution for that problem or conclude
that dumping of executables isn't going to be supported on Cygwin, I'm
fine.  For whatever reason, the exec stuff is the default for clisp and
building the non-exec had required some jumping through hoops (building
them both in one go wasn't even supported).  But I've fixed that now.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: