Re: lablgtk2 (was: [ITP] unison2.48)

On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 16:40 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 03:54 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > OK, pushed to https://github.com/andrex-e-schulman/cygwin-lablgtk2.git.  I
> > > started with the version in Cygwin ports - the cygport file and two patches.  I
> > > adjusted the cygport file as follows:
> > >
> > > * Added ocaml_lablgtk2_REQUIRES and DEPEND.
> >
> > Was something missing from the autogenerated requires?
>
> Yes, IIRC none of them included ocaml.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that, although practically speaking I don't
think it's much of a concern.

> Also, all of the autogenerated requires included all of the -devel packages -
> about a dozen of them.  Which is undesirable and seems wrong, since then anyone
> who installed unison-gtk for example would need to have all of those -devel
> packages too.

No they wouldn't, no more than anyone installing unison has to install
ocaml.

While ocaml has the toplevel system for use as a script interpreter and
runtime system for bytecode interpretation, the primary practical use of
ocaml (on platforms which support it) is as a native code compiler.  On
these platforms, ocaml *programs* are generally native-compiled for much
better performance, and such use requires -devel packages.

This is particularly true on x86_64-cygwin, where we don't have flexdll
working yet (although upstream is making progress), which severely
limits the usefulness of bytecode interpretation.

> > > * Replaced $OCAML_LIB_DIR (I think it was) by usr/lib/ocaml.
> > > * Changed ocaml_install (which I can't find anywhere) to "make old-install
> > > DESTDIR=${D}".
> >
> > These are both provided by ocaml.cygclass.
>
> Ah, thanks.  I guess I moved the "inherit ocaml" too far down in the file.

inherit commands are intended to be at the top of the .cygport, preceded
only by variables that are required thereby (as indicated in the
manual).

--
Yaakov