Re: [ITP] foobillard - OpenGL snooker / pool game

On 25/06/15 03:38, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 21:21 +0100, David Stacey wrote:
Built this to try out SDL that was added to Cygwin recently. Sadly,
performance of the game is rather disappointing compared to the native
Linux version running on the same hardware. Consequently, you might
decide that this is not appropriate for Cygwin just yet, or it might
only have value as a benchmarking aid for Cygwin/X. Or you might
consider that the performance is actually pretty impressive, given the
number of emulation layers involved:-)
I didn't try comparing it to Linux, but it seemed playable to me.  You
may want to try enabling direct hardware-accelerated rendering[1] in
multiwindow mode, e.g.:

DISPLAY=:0 LIBGL_USE_WGL=1 foobillard

[1]http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-aiglx.html

Thanks for the hint. My word - what an incredible difference that makes! On the rather modest machine I was testing with, that must have increased the framerate tenfold. I have included that tip in the announcement.

Dave.