Re: do package updates automatically kill running exes?

On 8/13/2015 3:39 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

>>> I've put a "pkill ." in all scripts that run setup (with the requisite
>>> are you sure? y/N).
>>
>> Ugh, both psmisc (killall) and procps (pkill) aren't in base, so both of
>> those may fail.
>
> I'm not advocating to use these from pre-remove scripts.  What is the
> problem you are trying to solve?  While you can run setup with active
> Cygwin processes if you really know what you're doing, the long-standing
> instructiosn are that you shiould shut down all running Cygwin processes
> before running it.

This was exactly my thought.

> As for my own installers, I can assume pkill to be available as long as
> the Cygwin installation is still existing, since these are installed
> with all installation option.

The pre-remove script could determine if the file is open by a process
and rename it before copying the new version in place.  The renamed file
would be marked for deletion when all handles to it are closed.  Or do
it in the other order and if the file remains after deletion the rename it.

--
cyg Simple