Re: upset, genini: different version ordering

On 20/10/2015 11:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 19 20:13, Achim Gratz wrote:
Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
Switchable versioning schemes means that code has to be multiplied in
both setup and upset, which is just asking for problems.  There needs to
be one single versioning scheme, period, and using RPM's makes sense.

You do know that RPM specifically has an emergency exit in the form of
"serials", do you?

I don't.  Brief description?

This is a reference to the RPM "Serial:" tag

This seems to be pretty obscure, but [1] says "Like the Epoch:, the Serial: directive should be a number that counts upward. Modern packages should use the Epoch: directive instead of Serial:, since Serial: has been deprecated for many, many rpm versions. "

What about epoch handling as Yaakov
suggested, does that help?  Jon, as our local upset guru, how tricky
would it be to add epoches to upset?

Or, in other words, how complicated would it be to have the same
RPM version handling in setup and upset both?

I've done the first step, which is to change upset to use the same ordering as setup (which uses an RPM-like ordering)

Patch not attached due to upset license uncertainties, but you can find it at /sourceware1/cygwin-staging/setup/0001-upset-Change-version-sorting.patch on sourceware.

[2] is the list of packages whose ordering would change if this was used. On further study, it appears that upset is ordering all of these but tcl-itcl in the opposite order to the chronological (and presumably intended) order.

Adding epoch parsing would be additional work. I'm not sure how much value that would have since (a) we are effectively limited to 2 package versions, and (b) we can force a given ordering using setup.hint

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/
[2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-10/msg00003.html