Re: per-version hints proposal

Eric Blake writes:
> Except when upstream version numbers go backwards.  We'd have to adopt
> something like Fedora's "epoch" numbering if we want our version numbers
> to always be increasing (by bumping the epoch any time upstream versions
> go backwards).

Oh please not.  I've looked into this as I thought it would be helping a
few things.  The bummer is that once you've introduced that epoch part
to any package, there is no way to drop it again.  I'd rather keep a
list of exceptions someplace for those rare cases where the versioning
algorithm doesn't do the right thing.  Actually, I'm already doing it
for the Perl distributions to override dodgy information in metadata
about dependencies.

Regards,
Achim.