Re: Up for adoption: ctags and expat

On Aug 12 11:01, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> > Given the obvious lack of upstream development, did anybody try
> > to replace exuberant ctags with universal ctags?
> >
> >   https://ctags.io/
> >
> > I noticed that our co-maintainer Frank Fesevur is involved in this
> > project.  Frank, any insight?
>
> I have been active in the development of universal ctags, but at the
> moment not too much.
>
> Universal ctags is the continuation of exuberant ctags. We have tried
> to convince Darren Hiebert (the original author of exuberant) to team
> up so we could keep the name. But that didn't work out, so we had to
> fork and came up with the name universal.

Pity.

> My main reason to help out was to make sure it kept working on native
> Windows. I use ctags for a Notepad++ plugin I wrote.
>
> I have successfully compile universal ctags for cygwin a while ago and
> it worked. Not sure how it is at the moment. There have been some
> changes in the build files so not sure if cygwin still works. Pull
> request are always reviewed.
>
> Among many other improvements, universal ctags has more and better
> parsers. You can add your own parser with an external program or with
> regexs. You can write the output as JSON.
>
> There hasn't been any official release. ATM there is no-one working on
> that. Making all the docs up-to-date with all the development that has
> been going on is the biggest task.
>
> I would say, make the switch to universal. I am willing to maintain
> that package. Question is how to update a package without official
> releases. And it hasn't been included in any major distro AFAIK.

You could start with a test build and set the version numbers in the
setup.hint file explicitely.  If it works out fine, you only have to
keep up with the prev/curr markers as long as "prev" is the exuberant
package.  Question is, *are* there any version numbers yet?  If not,
you could use git commit IDs for the time being.

Thanks,

Red Hat