Re: [Attention Maintainer] man-db

Ken Brown writes:
> On 7/19/2017 1:53 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Achim Gratz writes:
>>> This package currently has a perpetual postinstall script to keep the
>>> database indexed, but doesn't provide for a way to create the initial
>>> database during install.
>
> This is done deliberately, because the creation of the initial
> database can be very time consuming.  See the release announcement:

You seem to have missed that I want the index creation to happen only
when an entirely optional package gets installed.  But there needs to be
a way to do this via package selection instead of mandating to modify
the system after installation.  I can provide that package myself (just
as I provided an additional package to update the index before), but it
would be more sensible to put it into the man-db package for the benefit
of everybody.

>   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-10/msg00037.html
>
> FWIW, I agree with Yaakov's decision here.  I think many (most?) users
> would be very annoyed if they had to wait for mandb to finish its
> initial run.  And I suspect the Cygwin list would be flooded with
> complaints that setup is hanging.

Well, this is one (maybe the only) place where it'd make sense to send a
postinstall action to the background.  I've not tried yet if that works
and what else might need changing, but it's an option that may warrant
further exploration.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: