Re: Planned setup.ini changes for early 2018

On 11/01/2018 17:53, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Jon Turney wrote:
* Add depends: to version descriptions

This is a version-specific list of required packages (as opposed to requires:, which is per-package, and contains the union of the dependencies for all versions).

I believe that historical setup versions will either ignore, or can handle depends: (just containing package names, without version relations) relatively sanely (see [1] et seq. for details).

As long as the behaviour you outline in [1] is consistent, then that means I should be able to use older Setup with newer setup.ini, yes? That will be useful for people who use the Time Machine. :)

Yes, this doesn't break backwards compatibility.

I'm not sure what reasons there are to use older setup on a circa from after the date of this change.

I hope this means that the time machine can/will preserve depends: lines.

* De-duplicate source archives

Source archives which are identical[2] between x86 and x86_64 will be moved to paths starting src/ in the release area.

I'm not quite visualizing this,  Do you mean there will be a new directory name 'src' that will be on the same level as 'x86' and 'x86_64' or will it be higher up the directory tree?  It matters to me

This means src/ on the same level as x86/ x86_64/ and noarch/.

for the Time Machine as I'll need to be able to re-create the same directory hierarchy for each circa.  It's a selectively automated process currently, but I need to know what symlink to place where.  :)

Doing post-hoc de-duplication is unfortunate, but worthwhile given the potential size saving in mirrors (see [3] et seq.), until cygport can be taught how to make suitable source packages (which has several unresolved issues, also discussed at [3], [4] et seq.).

Will this be done en masse upon the next setup.ini build cycle, or over time as each new package is updated?  Having a massive amount of "new" packages show up under a "new" directory named 'src' will be quite a lot for the mirrors to absorb all at once.  For the Time Machine it might effectively be double as I have to maintain the old hierarchy as well as the new one (under the assumption that you'd apply the de-duplication retroactively).

The process will be gradual and retroactive.

I'm not quite sure yet how it's going to apply to new uploads. Often x86 and x86_64 packages are uploaded separately, so either it happens asynchronously, after the last upload of the pair has been accepted, or I defer accepting and deduping the upload until both are uploaded.