Re: timezone() errors

"Norbert Schulze" <Norbert.Schulze@rhein-neckar.de> writes:

> I have found some information here:
> http://www.ajk.tele.fi/libc/gen/timezone.3.html

And, sorry to say, somewhat irrelevant since that refers to NetBSD
C library, not something we need to conform to.

We should be shooting for SuSv2 (Single Unix Specs v2) conformance
when POSIX doesn't have anything to say. These documents are widely
available (you can buy them or get them from a library, and I don't
know any software outfit that don't keep a few copies on the shelf)
and easy to look up.

Here's the bit about timezone:

                 The Single UNIX ® Specification, Version 2

     NAME

     tzset - set time zone conversion information

     SYNOPSIS

#include <time.h>

void tzset (void);
extern char *tzname[];
extern long int timezone;
extern int daylight;

     DESCRIPTION

     The tzset() function uses the value of the environment variable TZ
     to set time conversion information used by localtime(), ctime(),
     strftime() and mktime(). If TZ is absent from the environment,
     implementation-dependent default time zone information is used.

     The tzset() function sets the external variable tzname as follows:

tzname[0] = "std";
tzname[1] = "dst";

     where std and dst are as described in the XBD specification,
     Environment Variables .

     The tzset() function also sets the external variable daylight to 0
     if Daylight Savings Time conversions should never be applied for
     the time zone in use; otherwise non-zero. The external variable
     timezone is set to the difference, in seconds, between Coordinated
     Universal Time (UTC) and local standard time, for example:

                                TZ timezone
                                EST 5*60*60
                                GMT 0*60*60
                                JST -9*60*60
                                MET -1*60*60
                                MST 7*60*60
                                PST 8*60*60

     RETURN VALUE

     The tzset() function returns no value.

     ERRORS

     No errors are defined.

     EXAMPLES

     None.

     APPLICATION USAGE

     None.

     FUTURE DIRECTIONS

     None.

     SEE ALSO

     ctime(), localtime(), mktime(), strftime(), <time.h>.

    DERIVATION

     Derived from Issue 1 of the SVID.

Regards,
Mumit