Re: Maintainers wanted

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 04:22:44PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:
>> I sent a plea to the cygwin mailing list asking for volunteers to
>> maintain packages but didn't get much response.  So, I'm trying
>> the same thing here with high hopes that I'll get a better response.
>
>Enumerating the list of packages is definitely a better approach, and
>provides a concrete target when you're thinking about volunteering.

Yup.  I realized that as I started enumerating the packages.

>Put me down for gcc and binutils. If others don't come forward, I'll
>probably pick up a few more (since I build most of these myself anyway,
>it's not that much of a bother).
>
>I'd add mingw as a separate package as we had talked about, and you can
>put me down for that of course.

Doh.  Mingw was what prompted me to send this email.

>New GNU packages that should probably be there -- groff.

Right.  I've added it.

>How about adding a secondary level -- contrib packages such as Perl
>(Charles Wilson is essentailly maintaining Perl for Cygwin, so that's
>a good start). I'll probably take on a few -- GNU Octave, GMP, CLN
>and possibly even Pine. However, this should be separate from the
>main distribution to avoid (1) delays, and (2) reduce download size.

Yes.  I would like to make our site the definitive site for Cygwin
packages.  I've actually been given that mandate.  I would like to
make the download a pick and choose kind of affair somehow even
for things like bash, etc.

>>Btw, the next version of Cygwin will be 1.1.0.  DJ and I have decided
>>to adopt the linux method for numbering releases.
>
>Yes, please.  I'm tired of using beta software ;-)

Ditto.