next net release preliminary info

OK, it's my turn to do a cygwin net release, and I've talked Chris
into letting me try doing it a different way (hopefully this will
benefit the net community in the long run).  So, here's my ideas.

First, we'll split up the release into separate tarballs for each
package (cygwin, gcc, gdb, etc).  That way, (1) users can download
just what they want, and (2) we can update individual packages as
they're released instead of waiting forever to release everything all
at once.

Second, each "package" gets its own directory.  Thus, there will be a
top-level "make" directory that contains the latest binaries, sources,
patches, old versions if needed, etc.  ftp.gnu.org does this, and it
makes for a much cleaner top-level directory.

We're still trying to figure out what to do about a setup/install
program.  I've got dreams of an "ideal" program, but it would take too
long to do.  I've cobbled together a zip of the minimum startup files
(tar and gzip) for now.

If anyone has any comments, opinions, or requests, now's the time to
post them.

Meanwhile, I do have the beginnings of a README, attached for review.

DJ

---
Jan 24 2000  DJ Delorie  dj@redhat.com

This is the README for the Cygwin download area.

What is Cygwin?  See http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

How do I install cygwin?  Get the files that end in .tar.gz and don't
end in -src.tar.gz.  Pick the ones with the highest version number.
Use "tar xvfz <whatever>.tar.gz" to install (untar) them.  Or, wait
for us to write a setup.exe program ;-)

Note: to develop software, you'll need *at least* gcc, binutils, and
cygwin.  You'll probably end up needing gdb, make, and a few others
(like ash and *utils) if you're porting existing software.

Untar everything from your chosen "cygwin root" directory.

But I don't have a tar program!  Get startup.zip instead.  Choose a
directory to be your "cygwin root" directory, and unzip it there.  It
should create a "tmpbin" directory with three files in it.  One of
them is tar (you need the others also, of course).  Just run it right
from that directory (or move it to some other random directory, but
NOT to your system32 directory) like "tmpbin\tar xvfz <whatever>.tar.gz".

How do I build from source?  You need the <whatever>-src.tar.gz files.
Some packages require other packages (cygwin/*-src.tar.gz is a common
requirement, as is common/*-src.tar.gz).

Where do I get help?  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ has docs,
or send email to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com (which is a
general-purpose public discussion forum for cygwin users).