Installation Routine

As I sit here waiting for the preview to download so I can work on an
installer, I find myself wondering. Is there any chance of using bzip2
in place of gzip? It would reduce the download size and the resulting
load on sourceware.cygnus.com which seems to be averaging about 8kB/s
across my cable modem.

Anyway to the point of the message. I have a very early snapshot of the
setup program that I said I would work on. If you are interested I have
posted it to http://home.kc.rr.com/nexus/cygwin.

It is very preliminary but I plan to add a good deal more to it.  For right
now the executable is compressed inside of a self-extractor that will go
ahead an execute it.  This is just until I can add zLib code to it so that
it will not be 1MB on its own.  Currently it compares favorably in terms of
size with setup.zip.  I am building it with -mno-cygwin, duh.

Just so you know what my plans are, I intend to add intelligence first so
that we get a nice clean install/uninstall solution.  Then I will add the
zLib support so Chris can have a command line program sans any GUI.  After
that I would like to add auto-download abilities followed by an optional GUI
for the command-line impaired. :^)

If no one objects too loudly I will be making posts as I update it. I am
hoping to have something suitable in time for the net release.
--
Ron Parker
rdparker@butlermfg.org (Just spell checked this on Hotmail. Won't make that