Re: Windows 9x environment space solution

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 02:07:43PM -0600, Parker, Ron wrote:
>I am _not_ setting up a full Unix-style environment for this release. I was
>told that the release would be "soon" and I see a lot of suggestions for
>feature creep. If DJ or Chris want to authorize some serious changes to the
>KISS philosophy that I was applying to the installer, then I will consider
>it.

Nope.  I've been conscientiously trying to keep the installer as minimal
as we can get away with for now.  I'd like to see it grow organically.

>Did or did we not want to leave it up to the end-user to decide which
>packages to install? Was I not told to save a more sophisticated installer
>for a later date? As much as I would like to have MS-GINA replaced with xdm
>and an inetd that is loaded before even logging on, I am taking the simplest
>route I can find for now.

My inetd suggestion was not intended as something to do now, but you probably
know that already.

>So, with that in mind, here is how I am going to attempt to correct the
>out-of-environment-space issue.  I will add a file to setup's
>resources.  This will be a preset shortcut that has the "Initial
>Environment" set at the upper limit of 4096.  I will copy it to the
>proper location on the machine and then modify the paths and other
>settings in this shortcut.  For now, it will still call the same batch
>file that setup is creating.  I used this technique with success on the
>"Solutioner" project at work about 3 years ago.

That's fine with me.  I would eventually like a solution which set the PATH
environment variable globally since a lot of people seem to be confused by
this but it doesn't have to happen now.

And, I don't think that it is likely that people will be complaining that
they can't use their Windows "FIND" command once cygwin is installed.  In
three years of reading the cygwin mailing list, I don't think I've ever
seen someone complain that a cygwin utility was shadowing a Microsoft
utility.

Ron, you're doing a great job and I appreciate it very much.  I hope
that we'll be able to wrap up all of the remaining minor issues and have
a net release early next week.  Your installer will be much easier to
use and will present less problems than any previous installer.